Preventing Birth Trauma Level 1
We know birth matters
Those of us who support birth know that the experiences of our births stay with us and have a lasting impact. How we feel about our birth begins the story of our parenting. With the COVID-19 pandemic, birth has become an even more complex experience within the system.
As a birth professional…
Do you see your clients and patients develop trauma from their births? Do you feel overwhelmed or just need some clarity about it? Do you fear that you will see an increase in trauma with the recent developments and feel powerless?
While over 30% of those giving birth describe the experience as traumatic, up to 8% will go on to develop PTSD as a result of the experience. It’s my opinion that these numbers will increase over the coming months. As birth professionals, we will undoubtedly attend traumatic births (virtually or in-person) and yet we are given little if any information about best practices for preventing trauma to our clients. What are we supposed to do here?
Can we do anything?
In this class, we will discuss:
- What is birth trauma?
- Who is most at risk for PTSD after birth?
- What are the signs of birth trauma?
- What can we do in the birth room (virtually or in-person) to minimize psychological trauma to our clients?
This class will emphasize therapeutic skills that can be adapted to the real world by an experienced licensed trauma therapist and certified doula who has been there.
Perfect for doulas, nurses, midwives and OBs
After this class, you will have a deeper understanding of the subject of birth trauma as well as five immediately applicable new skills for the birth room with your clients and patients. You will leave the class (finally!) equipped to grapple with this timely and important topic.
- Define birth trauma and understand who is most at risk.
- Understand the most common reasons why birth trauma occurs.
- Learn ways that we can prevent or protect against birth trauma at the very next birth we support.
- Discuss specific strategies we can use to help our clients or patients prevent or lessen birth trauma symptoms they already have.
Course includes 14 lessons and a 20 pg workbook.
* 2.75 CEs from the California BRN are given for this course. Class expires two years from the purchase date.